Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Last Week: A Good Addition to Holy Week


  Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan have jointly authored a book going through the account of the last week of Jesus in Mark. The idea was to go through the story and see what the story tells us. This framework, following the Gospel of Mark's timeline, is very useful. Even information that I have encountered in other contexts yielded more insight in this framework. They purposefully cut through centuries of looking at these events through a later Christian framework, and in doing so present a more vibrant story.

I didn't get it in time for this past Holy Week. In fact I didn't even hear about it until a couple of weeks ago. Yet even afterwards it is deepening my appreciation by deepening my understanding. I'd suggest getting a copy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rev --

Thanks for the pointer. The local library was hip enough to have a copy of the book. Borg *and* Crossan are two of my favorite authors from my "road not taken."

I think I'm going to enjoy this...

Anonymous said...

Just finished it. Those guys are*good*.